03 July 2014

[SHARING] Fighting Moderate Acne For 7 Years + My Daily Skincare Routine (Part 1/2)


Hello! 



I'm sorry for being MIA for like a year here.
I just can't really find the time to sit my freakin' ass down and write haha (sigh...)
But ever since I started an ask.fm account...

( you all can spam me questions here! ask.fm/querramellca )

I have been getting a LOT of questions regarding EVERYTHING,
though mostly it's about my makeup routine, skincare, how I got rid of my SEVERE ACNE (yes I had it 7 years back) or what's my exercise, how to lose weight and get a desirable figure, a lot of other trolling questions and so on and so forth...
Which kinda inspired me to write again and share some stuff to anyone interested to read :)

Soooo~
This post is dedicated to all of you who's been asking me about my battle with severe acne and my current skincare routine, or for those of you who are dealing with severe acne at the moment and needing some advice and encouragement based on my own experience.
Here it goes...


Back in 2007,
when I was around 12 and just hit my puberty,
my skin had the WORST. BREAKOUT. EVER.
 I started getting both small and big acnes HORRIBLY EVERYWHERE on my face.
I just didn't know what happened to me, all the acne started appearing uncontrollably on my cheeks, forehead,  jaw, chin, nose, and even my NECK!

It was really saddening and painful to see, feel, touch or even think about it.
My mom was pretty shocked too seeing my condition,
so she decided to bring me to see my very first dermatologist.
They gave me pimple creams, cleansing wash, lotions, toners, and some pills to take to reduce the oil (sebum) and control my raging puberty hormones.
It went well for a while, and managed to tame my acne so I decided to let go of the pills and depend on the topical cream only and facial wash.
I thought my acne was cured but...
HEY GUESS WHAT,

THEY EFFIN CAME BACK EVEN WORSE THAN BEFORE.

Not only my face, even my entire back (upper and lower), my chest and upper chest, neck, shoulders, even my upper arm is all covered with acne and eczema.
It was so heartbreaking... :'(
At that point of time, I really, really absolutely hated myself.
I couldn't even bear to see the mirror cause why?

I FELT BLOODY FUGLY.

At that point of time (2010), I took these pictures hoping
I could look back one day if I will ever have a clear skin in the future :)
These were the only clear selfie picture of me without any filters/edits
cause I barely take any selfies back then.

It was painful to lie down on my back sometimes because all the acne are inflamed and swollen. (yucks, I know)
I couldn't wear all the pretty backless dresses I used to wear or really nice tank tops because I don't have the self esteem to do so.

And don't even talk about bikinis.
I felt like burning all my bikinis.
 Whenever I swam, I'd always wear those really weird diver bodysuits that basically covers up my whole upper body.
 I did not even dare to wear t-shirts because the acne on my neck would show.

I hated myself to a point I gave up on my appearance.

Sadly, I pretty much even gave up on my social life too.
At times I didn't dare to look at people in their eyes when I talk to them,
I would always look down when I'm out.
I didn't even bother trying to make new friends, I stayed with my circle of friends all the time.
I guess I'm only most comfortable when..

I'm at home, alone, with no mirror.


Another confession would be that, whenever all my friends made fun of my acne, calling me "acne monster" or even asking why was my skin that way,
I would always just laugh it out though honestly it really, really hurt my feelings.
I was really hopeless and helpless.

It's not that I didn't even try to do anything about it, believe me I DID.
I kept changing more than I think 10 dermatologists.
For every new cream that I applied in front of the mirror,
my heart broke a little more each time.
I suffer through unbearable amount of pain for every facials I did.

I made my parents spend more than thousands and thousands of bucks over the years because they were really concerned about my skin condition and how it was affecting me emotionally.
I even went to one of the most so-called "effective and trustworthy" skin doctor, which of course was extremely costly.
And it turned out the same, it didn't help me at all.

This was when I really gave up..
And I'm literally left with just prayers :(

As time passed by, I guess I grew up.
What happened to me shaped my attitude towards life.
I came to a point where I would always just
"AH, FUCK IT. "
towards everything.

I became rather indifferent of what people think about me or how I look
( which is honestly not a very good thing to do, obviously.. )
but I guess...
this indifference was the beginning of the acceptance towards myself.

When I started to have faith again in myself and my appearance,
I gave myself another shot and did my own researches.
Days and night I would read and read about skin issues, what to do and what not to do, tried to gain deeper knowledge and understand what was really going on with my skin.
I never ever stopped taking care of my skin regardless all the repetitive breakouts I kept getting.
I didn't give up.
And I guess I can say now that I have won the battle :')

So after all the years of pain, tears, and suffering I have went through,
( okay.. sounds dramatic but it really was pretty horrible, people suffering from acne would totally be on the same page with me! )



Here below are some of the advices that I could give which really helped me recover, ALOT.

 1. DRINK ALOT OF WATER (ADD LEMON SLICES)! 

TAKE NOTE : IF YOU HAVE BAD GASTRIC, AVOID DRINKING WATER WITH LEMON WHEN YOUR STOMACH IS EMPTY.


Okay it's cliche but it really works.
Our body is made up of almost 60% water.
By not drinking enough water it affects how the body naturally works.
Water cools down your systems, flushes out and clean the toxins in your body.
You gotta clean your body from the inside too to prevent acne, not just from the outside!
As for the lemon slices, not only it helps you detoxifies your body and clear out your skin, it also boosts WEIGHT LOSS!
So drink up people, at least 2 litres - 3 litres a day!

 2. KEEP YOUR FACE CLEAN! 

Do not wait to wash your face when it's dirty or even feel lazy to do so.

After a sweaty day out, make sure you clean and wash your face when you go home right away, DO NOT WAIT.
And do not wash your face too often too, I usually wash my face twice or thrice a day if necessary.
Depending on what kind of skin you have (oily, dry, or combination) you have to know what's best needed for your own skin type.
It's so easy to know when you should or shouldn't wash!
When you feel sticky, oily, and dirty - OBVIOUSLY WASH YOUR FACE PLEASE!
and when it's super dry that it starts feeling tight and uncomfortable or even flaking - DONT WASH TOO OFTEN LA!
HAHA! ;)

 3. CHOOSE YOUR FACIAL PRODUCTS WISELY! 

To be honest, I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to dermatologists, unless I really used and experienced it myself then different case.

I tend to trust my own judgements and instinct, so my advice is don't listen too much to advertisement especially just because the ad is so pretty, pinky, cute and all this.

If you have very sensitive skin, try finding products without alcohol, silicone, paraben, ammonia, or contains too much harsh chemicals. 
Try to find those products that are really specifically manufactured for sensitive skin, usually it's written on them.
Don't buy products that's all pretty and cute but you don't know what it does to you.
If you have a non-sensitive skin and you never breakout no matter what you do or use - WELL, FUCK YOU!
HAHA just kidding you're so luckyyyy TSK! HATE YOU!

 4. DO NOT POP OR PICK YOUR ACNE! 

I KNOW I KNOW. IT IS HARD NOT TO.
They're just right on our face and you wanna pluck them off, burn them, slice them, whatever.. and make them go away.
But just don't, picking / popping your acne will create more scars in the future and make your skin have moonlike / strawberry-like surface ( with all the pores and scars), which I am suffering from right now boohoohooo..
So TRY, TRY, TRY to keep your hands away from your face.
If you really want to pop a poppable acne (with pus), try using a sterilized needle (dip it in alcohol first) instead so you don't damage the skin layers around the acne.
THEN apply your topical pimple cream to prevent further inflammation.

 5. AVOID JUNKFOOD, MORE VEGGIES AND FRUITS! 


Don't eat too much. Just don't!
I don't need to elaborate so much since you probably know it's not good anyway!
Anything harmful to ur body is harmful for your skin too!
So healthy stuff for your body is healthy for your skin too!
Simple!

 6. GET ENOUGH SLEEP! 

I tend to breakout more if I don't sleep for some reason.
When you sleep your body detoxifies and cleanses the system.
So if you don't sleep, all the shitty stuff stays inside your body and DUH, it will show up on your skin too! 
I am still guilty of sleeping late and not having enough sleep but trust me I am making the effort to try to sleep more!
So you should too!

 7. STAY POSITIVE AND EXERCISE! 

My mom once told me the more I think about my acne the more it will appear on my face.
I know how shitty it feels looking at your skin all ugly and bumpy but really, for once just give your mind and heart a break from all your negative thoughts and hate you throw on yourself.

You are not the only one experiencing it! A lot of other people do too! So it's not the end of the world.
Instead try to encourage yourself and do something about it instead of just complaining why are you born with such a shitty skin!
Do you know that negative emotions and thoughts can literally damage your health as your body is not producing enough "happy" chemicals to keep it healthy?

Another way to boost your health and skin is exercising!
Exercising produces chemicals that are capable of healing and making you look and feel good.
So throw away all those hatred, negativity, grudge, whatever aside and EXERCISE!
All for the sake of your own better skin! :)

 8. PATIENCE IS THE KEY! 


You can't lose your acne overnight, so you really have to just be patient and go through with it.

Do what you have to do to improve your skin, keep taking care of yourself regardless of whatever happens to your skin.
Don't ever give up!
For girls, I know you breakout more during your period,
Just stay patient (really) and keep loving yourself no matter what.
I know it's easier said than done, but..
If I can do it, why can't you? ;)


This is my bare skin at the moment, it's not perfectly flawless but it's SO much better. :D
Still fighting to improve the conditions and get rid of the scars.

Remember,

♥ BEAUTY IS BY CHOICE 


So I hope what I shared might be beneficial, useful, and informative for everyone who reads this.
It might not be complete or super professionally written,
but it's all based on my experience :)

"Confidence. Wear it like makeup."

Stay tuned for the part 2 of this sharing session where I will share about my daily skincare routine,
what to do and what not to do when choosing products to buy!

Thanks for reading! ♥
Stay sexaye, alright!♥

Huggies & Kissies,
Raa

1 comment:

Cindy Anne said...

RAAAAA AWWW BB your skin is so beautiful now I never would have even thought you had acne growing up!! I had a lot of break outs also when I was going through puberty years and still have them now. I have to really take care of my skin, more than the average person.

Thanks for sharing your experience and motivating us all <3 Love you!!


ChocoKittieHK holidays
xoxoxo, Cindy⭐︎☽